Healthy Community Commission
In January 2008, the Silver Cross Hospital Board of Trustees and local community leaders launched a new not-for-profit organization called the Silver Cross Healthy Community Commission. The Commission is chaired by retired Will County Board Member, Margie Woods, and has 17 members that represent the interests of constituencies on Joliet’s east side.
Realizing that social and economic well being are often factors impacting an individuals’ health, the Commission is committed to creating a stronger, healthier future for the east side neighborhood, which has suffered from lack of economic development over the past decades.
The Commission’s scope includes:
- development of scholarship programs related to healthcare and construction jobs for residents living in zip codes 60432, 60433,60436 and Fairmount Grade School District #89
- training scholarships for certified nurse assistants
- identification of gaps in workforce development programs and provision of grants to existing and/or new organizations
- coordination of healthcare services throughout the community
- long range planning for urgent care and primary care needs in the community.
Since 2008, the Commission has given a total of $1.45 million in healthcare and construction scholarships and grants to numerous eastside Joliet residents and organizations such as:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha – Tealight Foundation
- Bounce Back Social Services
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
- Community Services Council of Will County
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Familias Unidas Por la Education
- Forest Park Community Center
- Lebanon Baptist District Association
- NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)
- National Hook-up For Black Women
- Play for Rings, Inc.
- Senior Services of Will County
- Spanish Community Center
- University of St. Francis
- Warren-Sharpe Center