Homer Glen Artist Creates Piece of Art Honoring Donors at Silver Cross Hospital
New Lenox, IL (April 10, 2013)— When Silver Cross Hospital wanted an unusual piece of art created to honor the hospital’s donors, they commissioned the exquisite talents of local artist Sheri Law of Sheri Law Art Glass Ltd. in Homer Glen.
Photo Caption: Local artist Sheri Law, President of Sheri Law Art Glass, Ltd. in Homer Glen, and Larry Johnson, Vice President of the Foundation at Silver Cross Hospital, pose in front of the newly, unveiled artwork located in the main lobby of the hospital that recognizes the organization’s generous benefactors.
“Since the donor wall was going to be displayed in such a visible area of the hospital, we were particular on choosing an artist with rare skills who could uniquely capture our vision – and Sheri’s exceptional talents made her the perfect choice,” said Larry Johnson, Vice President of the Foundation at Silver Cross Hospital. “Her ability to incorporate components of nature and motion through windswept leaves using our corporate colors and edge lighting resulted in a remarkable piece of art and a wonderful tribute to our benefactors.”
As Silver Cross guests pass the reception desk in the hospital’s main lobby, they will be forever greeted by the donor wall that is an illuminated spectacle of cut glass that evokes elements of light and sweeping leaves. Each leaf includes a benefactor’s name and there are also blank leaves scattered throughout the piece available to be carved with the names of future donors.
In addition, the wall includes two inscriptions that read: “Silver Cross Thanks Our Donors. With gratitude to our generous benefactors whose leadership and examples are creating a future worthy of our past.”
“I was thrilled to be asked to create a piece of art for the new Silver Cross Hospital,” said Sheri Law, President of Sheri Law Art Glass Ltd. “To be commissioned to create artwork that honors so many significant individuals, who through their help made this beautiful place of healing a reality, was truly an honor for me.”
This is the second time artist Sheri Law was chosen to create a piece of artwork for Silver Cross Hospital. Several years ago, she created the original glass work for the Chapel at the hospital’s previous campus in Joliet. Because of their beauty and sacred significance, these stained glass panels were transferred into the new Chapel once the hospital moved to New Lenox in February 2012.So fortunately, visitors can still draw inspiration from the beautiful stained glass windows that illuminate an entire wall in the new Chapel. Visitors can access the Chapel from the first floor of the hospital near the front entrance lobby. The Chapel is opened 24 hours a day and seven days a week. In addition, guests can take advantage of the many amenities near the Chapel including the Café 1900 Coffee Shop, Library, and Childerguild Gift Shop.
To assist Silver Cross Hospital in its initiative to continue to bring state-of-the-art lifesaving services close to home, call the Silver Cross Foundation at (815) 300-7105.
The new Silver Cross Hospital is designed to ensure Silver Cross achieves the same level of excellence for generations to come. Highlights include:
- An enhanced partnership with Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) at Silver Cross – the #1 Rehabilitation Hospital in the Nation, and the creation of the University of Chicago Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross, brings increased pediatric, rehabilitation and cancer expertise to Will and the surrounding counties.
- Hospital’s design creates efficiencies between departments and promote an environment that helps patients heal faster.
- All 289 patient rooms are built to accommodate today’s medical technology to reduce unnecessary transfers, the risk of infection and injury.
- Integration of evidence-based design has been proven to help in the healing process and contribute to a speedier recovery for patients. Some of the many ways that evidence-based design is being used in the new hospital is with large, private patient rooms, natural and enhanced lighting, sound and noise control, cheerful yet calming colors, ties to nature, bedside care and dedicated family areas to improve care with more personalized treatment.
- More efficient environment that reduces wait times. Easier way-finding for visitors and patients.
- The Silver Cross Center for Women’s Health, set in a soothing, spa-like environment, continues to offer the latest breast cancer testing available–full field digital mammography, breast ultrasound and breast biopsies, bone densitometry and baseline heart screenings.
About Sheri Law Art Glass Ltd.
Since 1980, Sheri Law Glass Ltd. has been enhancing the homes and businesses of clients with custom hand crafted art glass, beveled, stained, etched and fused glass. From conception through design, fabrication, and installation, the professional team of talented glass artists combine award winning design with engineering to insure that every project is a work of art. Sheri Law Glass Ltd. is located at 12551 W. 159th Street in Homer Glen. For more information, visit www.sherilawartglass.com or call 708.301.2800.
About Silver Cross Hospital
Silver Cross Hospital is a not-for-profit health care provider serving Will County and southwest suburban communities since 1895. Silver Cross has been recognized as a Thomson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals National Award winner for seven consecutive years and as a Hospital of Choice by the American Alliance of Healthcare Providers. With over 3,000 employees, physicians and volunteers, Silver Cross operates a 296-bed acute care hospital and 9 satellite facilities providing outpatient services and physician offices. Silver Cross opened a state-of-the-art replacement hospital on February 26, 2012 at I-355 and Route 6 in New Lenox. To learn more about Silver Cross Hospital or a referral to a physician on staff, visit www.silvercross.org or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).