Rehabilitation - RIC
Brain and Balance Clinic
If you experience tripping, swaying, stumbling, dizziness, vertigo, falling, or headaches, we can help. Physical therapists with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) at Silver Cross’s Brain and Balance Clinic are specially trained to conduct a thorough evaluation and develop individualized treatment plans to help improve the strength, stability and mobility of patients with brain and balance problems.
RIC has been ranked the #1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America by U.S. News & World Report every year since 1991. The same specialized care that has earned RIC its preeminent reputation in advancing human ability is available at Silver Cross.
The Brain and Balance Clinic is helping active and older adults regain and maintain an active lifestyle. A decrease in balance and stability can be caused by muscle weakness and coordination, decreased flexibility, or medical conditions. It can also occur when your vision, inner ear or muscular system are not working properly. Once the causes have been identified, we address the patient’s specific needs with a custom rehabilitation program that includes exercises that can be performed at home.
- In-depth evaluation including health history
- Motion, strength, coordination, visual tracking, and balance tests to help assess overall physical ability
- Assessment of footwear
- Aerobic and strength training
- Static Balance (sitting or standing still) and Dynamic Balance (keeping your balance while moving) exercise programs
- Activities and treatments to help restore normal movement in stiff joints
- Stretching exercises to improve flexibility and posture
- Education to prevent and reduce fear of falling
- Relaxation techniques, strategies and therapies to diminish pain caused by headaches
Free Balance Enhancement and Fall Prevention Screenings
At RIC’s Brain and Balance Clinic, therapists conduct free screenings year round to assist with balance enhancement and fall prevention. The 15-minute screening includes a medical history, blood pressure measurements, and balance assessment to identify risk factors, posture, range of motion, strength, static and dynamic balance. Based on the results, therapists may provide recommendations on how to improve balance and reduce the risk of falls and/or a referral for treatment. To schedule a free fall and balance screening, call 815-300-6580.
RIC’s Brain & Balance Clinic offers evening and Saturday hours. Most insurances accepted including Medicare.
Silver Cross Professional Building
1051 Essington Road
Joliet, IL 60436
(815) 300-6580 phone
(815) 730-6585 fax
Postnatal Physical Therapy Screenings
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross Hospital offers free screenings for women six weeks to one-year post-childbirth.
Location: Silver Cross Health Center
12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen, IL
During the 15-minute screening, the new mom’s birthing history and current problems will be reviewed. Posture, core and pelvic strength will be screened.
Women who have any of the following common postpartum complaints should be screened.
- Pelvic pain: This could be pain during intercourse, when urinating or defecating, or at rest. Pelvic pain can become chronic if left untreated.
- Urinary incontinence: It is common after childbirth to have a sudden urge to urinate or leak urine when exercising, laughing or sneezing.
- Perineal pain: Pain in the area between the vagina and anus is common among women who had an episiotomy or tearing during their birth. Some women also need help healing the scars from cesarean section.
- Fecal incontinence: Many women have trouble controlling bowel movements after having a baby.
- Pelvic organ prolapse: The uterus can slip out of place because of pressure on weak pelvic floor muscles during the birth.
- Separation of the abdominal muscles: The growing baby puts pressure on the abdominal muscles which may cause them to stretch and sometimes separate during pregnancy.
As a result of the screening, if therapy is recommended, treatment will be adjusted to fit the patient’s capabilities. The main goal during postpartum physical therapy is to regain pelvic floor muscle tone and avoid future urinary incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse. Some women may undergo rehabilitation to resume intercourse without pain or to get their abdominal muscles back in shape.
Most treatment plans include Kegel exercises. RIC therapists teach patients the correct way to do them to achieve maximum results. Studies show that over 50% of women do Kegel exercises wrong. Biofeedback may also be used to help retrain the pelvic muscles.
Call (815) 300-6288 to schedule a confidential appointment.
RIC Patient Success Stories
- Shorewood Woman Walks Stronger and Safer Thanks to Screening at Silver Cross
- Patients Suffering from Lymphedema after Cancer Find Relief at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross Hospital
- RIC at Silver Cross Leads Joliet Man on Road to Recovery Following Stroke
- Lockport resident walks again after near death accident with the help of physical therapy from the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross in Homer Glen
Cancer and Lymphedema Care
If you are a cancer patient or survivor, it’s critical that you maintain the things in life that are important to you—your energy, your mobility, your activity level. The therapists at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross use evidenced-based treatment to address your physical and cognitive concerns caused by the disease and treatment. Our therapy programs focus on helping you to meet your challenges and achieve your highest ability.
The recovery process for cancer survivors is about achieving one’s highest potential. The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) at Silver Cross Hospital provides treatment that goes beyond medical and surgical treatment options.
RIC at Silver Cross professionals offer evaluation, therapeutic services and patient education for the following Cancer related conditions:
- Fatigue, pain, joint stiffness, weakness, limited mobility, neuropathy, swallowing difficulty, speech difficulty, scar management, post-radiation skin and tissue changes, cognitive impairment, bowel and bladder dysfunction.
- Prevention and treatment for Lymphedema (swelling following the removal of lymph nodes) is provided by a LANA certified therapist. This treatment consists of education, manual lymph drainage, compression bandaging and garment fitting, exercise, and long term home management.
Our professionals have experience working with all types of cancers including:
- Blood, Bone, Brain, Breast, Childhood, Digestive, Head and Neck, Lung, Pelvic, Prostate, Reproductive, Skin, and Spinal
RIC care is available nearby offering early morning, evening and weekend hours. For more information or to schedule an appointment with a physician’s order, contact a Silver Cross location close to you.
Silver Cross Hospital
Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
Cancer and Lymphedema Rehabilitation
1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox, IL 60451
For More Information
Call (815) 300-7110