Rehabilitation - RIC
Postnatal Physical Therapy Screenings
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross Hospital offers free screenings for women six weeks to one-year post-childbirth.
Location: Silver Cross Health Center
12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen, IL
During the 15-minute screening, the new mom’s birthing history and current problems will be reviewed. Posture, core and pelvic strength will be screened.
Women who have any of the following common postpartum complaints should be screened.
- Pelvic pain: This could be pain during intercourse, when urinating or defecating, or at rest. Pelvic pain can become chronic if left untreated.
- Urinary incontinence: It is common after childbirth to have a sudden urge to urinate or leak urine when exercising, laughing or sneezing.
- Perineal pain: Pain in the area between the vagina and anus is common among women who had an episiotomy or tearing during their birth. Some women also need help healing the scars from cesarean section.
- Fecal incontinence: Many women have trouble controlling bowel movements after having a baby.
- Pelvic organ prolapse: The uterus can slip out of place because of pressure on weak pelvic floor muscles during the birth.
- Separation of the abdominal muscles: The growing baby puts pressure on the abdominal muscles which may cause them to stretch and sometimes separate during pregnancy.
As a result of the screening, if therapy is recommended, treatment will be adjusted to fit the patient’s capabilities. The main goal during postpartum physical therapy is to regain pelvic floor muscle tone and avoid future urinary incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse. Some women may undergo rehabilitation to resume intercourse without pain or to get their abdominal muscles back in shape.
Most treatment plans include Kegel exercises. RIC therapists teach patients the correct way to do them to achieve maximum results. Studies show that over 50% of women do Kegel exercises wrong. Biofeedback may also be used to help retrain the pelvic muscles.
Call (815) 300-6288 to schedule a confidential appointment.
Cancer and Lymphedema Care
If you are a cancer patient or survivor, it’s critical that you maintain the things in life that are important to you—your energy, your mobility, your activity level. The therapists at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross use evidenced-based treatment to address your physical and cognitive concerns caused by the disease and treatment. Our therapy programs focus on helping you to meet your challenges and achieve your highest ability.
The recovery process for cancer survivors is about achieving one’s highest potential. The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) at Silver Cross Hospital provides treatment that goes beyond medical and surgical treatment options.
RIC at Silver Cross professionals offer evaluation, therapeutic services and patient education for the following Cancer related conditions:
- Fatigue, pain, joint stiffness, weakness, limited mobility, neuropathy, swallowing difficulty, speech difficulty, scar management, post-radiation skin and tissue changes, cognitive impairment, bowel and bladder dysfunction.
- Prevention and treatment for Lymphedema (swelling following the removal of lymph nodes) is provided by a LANA certified therapist. This treatment consists of education, manual lymph drainage, compression bandaging and garment fitting, exercise, and long term home management.
Our professionals have experience working with all types of cancers including:
- Blood, Bone, Brain, Breast, Childhood, Digestive, Head and Neck, Lung, Pelvic, Prostate, Reproductive, Skin, and Spinal
RIC care is available nearby offering early morning, evening and weekend hours. For more information or to schedule an appointment with a physician’s order, contact a Silver Cross location close to you.
Silver Cross Hospital
Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
Cancer and Lymphedema Rehabilitation
1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox, IL 60451
For More Information
Call (815) 300-7110
Recent RIC News
Recent RIC News
RIC Patient Success Stories
- Patients Suffering from Lymphedema after Cancer Find Relief at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross Hospital
- RIC at Silver Cross Leads Joliet Man on Road to Recovery Following Stroke
- Lockport resident walks again after near death accident with the help of physical therapy from the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross in Homer Glen