Advance Practice Nurses
At Silver Cross Hospital, receiving excellent nursing care is how you should be treated.
Who are Advanced Practice Nurses?
- Advanced Practice Nurses (APNs) are registered nurses who have advanced clinical education and are nationally certified in a healthcare specialty area
- APNs are recognized as expert healthcare providers who serve individuals, families, and communities
In Illinois, four types of APNs are recognized:
- Certified Nurse Practitioners (CPNs) provide the full scope of primary care services related to health assessment, health maintenance and disease prevention
- Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNSs) provide specialized care and education to patients with complex health needs
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) provide anesthesia care to patients undergoing surgery, childbirth and trauma stabilization
- Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) provide primary care to women of childbearing age
Advanced Practice Nurses are partners with you in:
- Promoting Quality Healthcare
- Preventing Illness
- Pursuing Good Health
- Participating in Cutting-edge Research
What do Advanced Practice Nurses do?
- Obtain medical histories and perform physical examinations
- Provide healthcare to individuals throughout the life span
- Diagnose and treat both acute and chronic health problems
- Counsel, educate and empower patients in health promotion, disease prevention and self-care
- Order, perform and interpret lab tests, x-rays and procedures
- Prescribe medications and other treatments
- Work in collaboration with a variety of healthcare professionals to effectively diagnose and manage their patients’ care
- Perform and participate in nursing/medical research and publishing
- Function as role models, mentors and patient advocates
Where do Advanced Practice Nurses work at Silver Cross Hospital?
- Adult and Pediatric Inpatient Hospitals
- Outpatient and procedure areas
- Emergency Services
- Offsite facilities
-Child Life Center
-Renal Dialysis Centers
What’s unique about Advanced Practice Nurses?
Patients remark that they enjoy seeing APNs for their health care because they:
- Take time to listen to patients’ concerns and answer their questions
- Help patients understand their health problems and provide support and guidance on self-care management
- Empower patients and families to make informed decisions regarding their health care
Healthcare providers at Silver Cross Hospital believe:
- APNs do an excellent job at managing complex patient care issues
- APNs bridge the gap between patients, families and health care providers
- APNs coordinate care between different specialties to ensure outstanding patient results while improving patient satisfaction
Advanced Practice Nurses play a key role in quality care delivered to our patients.