Silver Cross Hospital offers a variety of childbirth education programs including:
- AHA Heartsaver CPR & AED: Participants will learn adult, child and infant CPR, rescue from choking, and how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED). This class is for parents, adoptive parents, grandparents and childcare providers.
- Baby Basics: Geared to help parents-to-be and new parents learn about their baby’s physical care and health. A certified childbirth educator trains new parents on child care, common problems, stress management and developing positive child guidance skills.
- Birthing Center Tours: The tours will help expectant parents and grandparents prepare for their experience in the hospital’s new luxurious Birthing Center.
- Breastfeeding Class: Learn the basics of breastfeeding, including establishing a good milk supply, pumps, avoiding difficulties and more with a certified lactation consultant. Participants are welcome to attend before the birth of their baby.
- Breastfeeding Support Group: New mothers have many questions and concerns about breastfeeding in the weeks leading up to and after birth. Breastfeeding support groups are a wonderful way to exchange information and experiences. The meetings are led by certified lactation consultants.
- Post-Natal Pilates Class: The 5 week Pilates series will consist of five 30 minute classes, meeting one time per week on Mondays from 5:00-5:30pm. Classes will be held on the second floor of the Silver Cross Health Center in Homer Glen, located at 12701 West 143rd Street. Each class will include educational material specific to core strengthening and Pilates-based stretching and strengthening focusing on the pelvic floor and core muscles. Wear clothing that will allow for stretching and movement. The class is open to men and women of all fitness levels. Bring a water bottle and exercise mat to class.
- Prepared Childbirth 1 day Class, 2 Part Weekend Class, 2 Part Weekday Class: Participants will receive instruction from a certified childbirth educator on breathing and relaxation in this class. Labor, delivery, recovery, post-partum and other birthing options are also discussed. A tour of the Birthing Center is included.
- Sibling Class: This class is for 3 to 6 year olds about to become a big brother or sister. The instructor will discuss what to expect when their new sibling arrives. Children will have an opportunity to hold a doll and practice being gentle. A story about new babies will be read to the class followed by a conversation about the many feelings that a sibling may have.
(Don't forget your camera, parents!)
Advanced registration for childbirth classes is required online or by calling