Physicians routinely use da Vinci Surgery to treat several urologic conditions, including bladder and kidney cancer, but the primary use of da Vinci Surgery in urology is for treating prostate cancer.
Men facing prostate cancer are often given the treatment options of: watchful waiting, hormone therapy, radiation, or surgery to remove the cancerous prostate – known as a radical prostatectomy. Because the entire prostate gland is removed, prostatectomy offers patients their best change for a cure and is considered the gold standard treatment for patients with truly localized prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men worldwide
- 1 in 6 U.S. men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer
- Prostate cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer death in U.S. men
- If caught early, there is a much greater chance of curing prostate cancer
- 3 out of 4 patients in the U.S. who choose surgery to treat prostate cancer, choose da Vinci Surgery
da Vinci Surgery is a minimally invasive, robotic-assisted procedure used to remove the cancerous prostate. State-of-the-art da Vinci Surgery enables your doctor to operate through a few tiny incisions allowing for a faster recovery. da Vinci provides surgeons with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control, while offering patients many potential benefits, such as:
- Excellent cancer control
- Faster return of sexual function
- Faster return of urinary continence
- Shorter hospital stay
- Low level of pain
- Less blood loss, fewer transfusions
- Lower risk of infection, complications
- Faster recovery and return to normal activities
Find a Physician
*Physicians on Silver Cross Hospital’s Medical Staff have expertise in their areas of practice to meet the needs of patients seeking their care. These physicians are independent practitioners on the Medical Staff and are not the agents or employees of Silver Cross Hospital. They treat patients based upon their independent medical judgment and they bill patients separately for their services.