Brain and Balance Clinic
Brain and Balance Clinic
If you experience tripping, swaying, stumbling, dizziness, vertigo, falling, or headaches, we can help. Physical therapists with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) at Silver Cross’s Brain and Balance Clinic are specially trained to conduct a thorough evaluation and develop individualized treatment plans to help improve the strength, stability and mobility of patients with brain and balance problems.
RIC has been ranked the #1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America by U.S. News & World Report every year since 1991. The same specialized care that has earned RIC its preeminent reputation in advancing human ability is available at Silver Cross.
The Brain and Balance Clinic is helping active and older adults regain and maintain an active lifestyle. A decrease in balance and stability can be caused by muscle weakness and coordination, decreased flexibility, or medical conditions. It can also occur when your vision, inner ear or muscular system are not working properly. Once the causes have been identified, we address the patient’s specific needs with a custom rehabilitation program that includes exercises that can be performed at home.
- In-depth evaluation including health history
- Motion, strength, coordination, visual tracking, and balance tests to help assess overall physical ability
- Assessment of footwear
- Aerobic and strength training
- Static Balance (sitting or standing still) and Dynamic Balance (keeping your balance while moving) exercise programs
- Activities and treatments to help restore normal movement in stiff joints
- Stretching exercises to improve flexibility and posture
- Education to prevent and reduce fear of falling
- Relaxation techniques, strategies and therapies to diminish pain caused by headaches
Free Balance Enhancement and Fall Prevention Screenings
At RIC’s Brain and Balance Clinic, therapists conduct free screenings year round to assist with balance enhancement and fall prevention. The 15-minute screening includes a medical history, blood pressure measurements, and balance assessment to identify risk factors, posture, range of motion, strength, static and dynamic balance. Based on the results, therapists may provide recommendations on how to improve balance and reduce the risk of falls and/or a referral for treatment. To schedule a free fall and balance screening, call 815-300-6580.
RIC’s Brain & Balance Clinic offers evening and Saturday hours. Most insurances accepted including Medicare.
Silver Cross Professional Building
1051 Essington Road
Joliet, IL 60436
(815) 300-6580 phone
(815) 730-6585 fax