Silver Cross Hospital, home to multiple da Vinci Si Surgical Systems robots, is one of the area’s leading robotic surgery programs. Robotic surgery, a breakthrough surgical platform designed to enable complex surgery using a minimally invasive approach, is powered by state-of-the-art robotic technology. Silver Cross Hospital has been performing robotic surgeries since the new hospital opened in 2012.
LEADING THE WAY
With one of the busiest robotic surgery programs in the Chicago area, Silver Cross has performed over 2,000 procedures using the da Vinci Si Surgical System in the first 3 years of the robotic program. Additionally:
- Dr. Reza Gamagami performed the area’s first Single-Site™ da Vinci Si Cholecystectomy (gallbladder surgery) at Silver Cross Hospital.
- Dr. Laura Ragauskaite was the first female general surgeon in Illinois to offer Robotic Single-Site Cholecystectomy.
- Silver Cross was chosen by Intuitive Surgical as an Observation Site for robotic‐assisted general, colorectal and gynecological surgeries, allowing interested physicians nationally and world-wide to witness the benefits of robotic surgery first-hand.
- Silver Cross is part of an elite group of nationally recognized General Surgery Epicenters due to the demonstrated excellence of Dr. Gamagami, an educator for general colorectal surgery. Physicians from all over the U.S. and South America travel to Silver Cross Hospital to learn advanced robotic techniques in the area of general surgery from Dr. Gamagami and the Silver Cross surgical team.
- As of June 2014, Silver Cross is one of only 25 Epicenters for General Surgery in the entire United States, and only one of two General Surgery Epicenters in Illinois.
- Dr. Nahla Merhi at Silver Cross Hospital was one of the first surgeons in the U.S. to offer Single-Site™ da Vinci Si Hysterectomy.
- Silver Cross Hospital been designated as a Center of Excellence for Minimally Invasive Gynecology by the AAL and Surgical Review Corporation.
Silver Cross Hospital is able to treat a variety of conditions robotically in the areas of general surgery, colorectal surgery, gynecology, and urology:
- Bladder Cancer
- Colon and Rectal Cancer and Benign Diseases (Prolapse, Diverticulitis)
- Esophageal Cancer
- Heartburn, Reflux
- Gynecologic Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Stomach and Pancreatic Cancer
- Stress Urinary Incontinence
- Uterine Fibroids, Prolapse, and Heavy Bleeding
Dr. Thai Nguyen serves as Medical Director of Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital.
Physicians on the Silver Cross Medical Staff, who are credentialed to perform surgery using the da Vinci Si™ Surgical System include:
- Dorothy Anoina, M.D., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Dexter Arrington, M.D., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Eric Bass, M.D., general surgeon
- Syed Bokhari, M.D., general surgeon
- Erik Borncamp, M.D., general surgeon
- Luke Cho, M.D., urology
- Sandra Culbertson, M.D., urogynecologist
- Mark Danielson, M.D., general surgeon
- Summer Dewdney, M.D., gynecologic/oncology
- Reza Gamagami, M.D., general surgeon
- Francisco Garcini, M.D., Ph.D., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Monique Jones, M.D., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Marius Katilius, M.D., general surgeon
- Thomas Kazmierczak, D.O., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Nita Lee, M.D., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Nahla Merhi, M.D., urogynecologist
- Thai Nguyen, M.D., urologist
- Daniel Pacella, D.O.,F.A.C.S., general surgeon
- Gamilah Pierre, M.D., gynecologic/oncology
- Laura Raguaskaite, M.D., general surgeon
- Thomas Vasdekas, M.D., general surgeon
- Peter Vienne, D.O., obstetrician/gynecologist
- Seiko Yamada, M.D., gynecologic/oncology
- Shishin Yamada, M.D., general surgeon