In 2019 Silver Cross Hospital provided over $39 million in community benefit.
- Over $7 million was in charity care (at cost) for which Silver Cross does not expect payment.
- An additional over $8 million in unreimbursed Medicaid services at cost was also provided to the community. Plus, 37% of all patients treated in the Silver Cross Emergency Departments in 2019 were uninsured or on public aid.
Charity Care: Pledge to Provide Free Care
- In 2008, the Hospital pledged to provide at least $4 million a year for ten years in charity care to serve the poor and uninsured in Will County. In the past ten years, Silver Cross has already given out over $86 million in charity care to Will County patients. That number reflects the actual cost of health care provided free of charge to patients. It does not include shortfalls in payments from the state’s Medicaid program for the poor or the Medicare program for seniors and disabled citizens. These programs only cover a fraction of Silver Cross Hospital’s cost for treating patients.
- Silver Cross provides financial assistance to patients who maintain a household income up to 400% above the Federal Poverty Level. In addition, the hospital provides a 50% discount off of charges to all uninsured patients.
Subsidized Services, Screenings and Scholarships
- Silver Cross gave more than $2.8 million in other community benefit last year which included free and subsidized health services, education, donations, assistance, programs and screenings to more than 300,000 people in Will County.
- Silver Cross is also helping to save lives serving as the resource hospital for the area’s Emergency Medical Services (EMS) system. Silver Cross gave $618,000 to provide paramedic training, continuing education, and monitoring of ambulance services in Will and Grundy counties.
To learn more about other ways Silver Cross is providing benefit to the Community, click here for a copy of the 2019 Community Benefit Report, the Will County Community Health Needs Assessment and the Will County Community Health Implementation Plan 2017-2020.
View the complete 2019 Community Benefit Flyer.
View 2019 "Caring for our Community" Brochure.