Gynecology Surgery Center
If you're a woman considering gynecological surgery, you can feel confident receiving care from The Midwest Institute for Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital.
- Silver Cross Hospital is designated as a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG).
- We have performed more hysterectomies than any other hospital and surgery center in the Chicago Metropolitan area.
- Silver Cross was one of the first hospitals in the country to perform Single-Site™ Hysterectomy through one tiny incision in the belly button.
- Physicians from around the world come to Silver Cross to observe Dr. Nahla Merhi and the surgical team perform this delicate and complicated procedure.
We offer the most advanced minimally invasive procedures to treat the following conditions:
- Cervical Cancer
- Endometrial Cancer
- Heavy Bleeding
- Ovarian Cancer
- Pelvic Prolapse
- Uterine Cancer
- Uterine Fibroids
Specially trained gynecologists and urogynecologists perform the following complex procedures at Silver Cross Hospital using advanced robotic techniques.
For conditions affecting the reproductive system and gynecologic cancers:
Compared with traditional open surgery, robotic surgery requires significantly smaller incisions. The potential benefits for patients include:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Minimal blood loss
- Lower risk of complications
- Less scarring
- Fast recovery time
- Reduced pain
- Less need for narcotic medication
Using a da Vinci® robot, the surgeon makes a few small incisions in the abdomen using long, thin instruments and a tiny camera. The camera sends images to a video monitor in the operating room to guide your surgeon during the operation. The robot is designed to provide surgeons with enhanced capabilities, including high definition 3D vision and a magnified view. Your doctor controls the robot, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body. The robot cannot act on its own. Surgery is performed entirely by your doctor.
To be affiliated with the Midwest Institute of Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital, surgeons must meet rigorous criteria and demonstrate excellent outcomes and high patient satisfaction.