From routine mammograms to breast cancer diagnosis, treatment, and recovery, Silver Cross has brought together the most advanced technology and finest specialists so you can receive safe, comprehensive care close to home. Silver Cross has been recognized as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology and has received an A Hospital Safety Grade by The Leapfrog Group from 2015-2021.
Care starts with a 2D digital or 3D screening mammogram in our spa-like Center for Women’s Health. Scheduling is easy. You don’t need a doctor’s order and you can now schedule your screening mammogram appointment online. Of course, you can always call (815) 300-7076. Fellowship-trained breast radiologists read and provide the results. And we reward you for getting this important test with discounts at over 100 local businesses through our free I Matter™ program.
- Center of Excellence. Silver Cross has been recognized as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology and has received an A Hospital Safety Grade by The Leapfrog Group from 2015-2017.
- Cutting-edge Technology. Care starts with a 2D digital or 3D screening mammogram in our spa-like Center for Women’s Health.
- Field Experts. Fellowship-trained breast radiologists read and provide the results.
- Scheduling is Easy! You don’t need a doctor’s order and you can now schedule your screening mammogram appointment online. Of course, you can always call (815) 300-7076.
- Receive Rewards for Taking Care of Yourself! We reward you for getting this important test with discounts at over 100 local businesses through our free I Matter™ program.
Coordinated Care from Team of Specialists
If additional imaging is needed, our dedicated staff will help schedule your recommended tests such as:
- A breast ultrasound or MRI.
- A biopsy. Our breast nurse navigator will help coordinate the next steps in your care.
- The breast nurse navigator can also coordinate with your physician to have your medical information reviewed at our weekly Multi-Disciplinary Breast Conference. A team of specialists gather in one room to look at your images and discuss your test results and other health information and provides your doctor with a consensus recommendation within 24 hours so that you can make an informed decision and begin treatment immediately.
How much do you know about breast cancer? Take the Quiz
Access to Clinical Trials
If you need chemotherapy or radiation therapy, medical and radiation oncologists with The UChicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital have access to over 300 clinical trials. Many of these investigational therapies are available on the New Lenox campus. Several breast cancer patients are also benefitting from prone breast radiation therapy which protects the organs while delivering precisely targeted radiation to the patient’s breast.
Convenient Access to Breast Center
If your treatment plan calls for surgery, there are several highly skilled breast surgeons in the Silver Cross Breast Center. The Breast Center is located inside the Center for Women’s Health for smooth continuity of care and convenient access to pre and post-surgical services.
Surgeons in the Silver Cross Breast Center have specialized training and expertise to quickly diagnose disease, explain the range of treatment options available, and help you decide on a plan tailored to your needs and goals. This may include breast-conserving surgery, mastectomy, and breast reconstruction.
These highly skilled surgeons evaluate and manage patients with breast pain, benign lumps and cysts and abnormal mammograms, in addition to breast cancer. They look at the stage of cancer, its characteristics, and what is best for your treatment. Oftentimes cases are reviewed by multiple specialists at Silver Cross Hospital’s weekly Multi-Disciplinary Breast Conference to expedite diagnosis and treatment.
If it is determined that surgery is the best option, procedures are performed in Silver Cross’ state-of-the-art operating suites followed by a short stay in a spacious, private patient room; although some patients may go home the same day. If chemotherapy, hormone therapy, or radiation therapy is recommended, the University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross is just steps away from the Breast Center offering the latest clinical trials, genetic testing and counseling and advanced techniques including Prone Breast Radiation Therapy.
Recovery and Support after Surgery
After surgery, sometimes patients experience lymphedema, which is a damaged or blocked lymph system that causes swelling in the arms or legs.
- Rehab Care Close to Home. At Silver Cross, therapists with the world-renowned Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago) are available to help you find relief – both in the hospital and when you go home.
- Other Support Services. And through our partnerships with The American Cancer Society and The Cancer Support Center, a variety of resources and support services are available for patients and their family members. This includes a monthly breast cancer support group, yoga and meditation, and counseling.