Did you know 70% of health care decisions are guided by laboratory test results? For this reason, Silver Cross Hospital’s Lab provides high-quality and timely lab results, so your doctor can treat you and get you feeling better right away.
Excellence in Laboratory Science
The Silver Cross Hospital Lab is dedicated to providing you with accurate and clinically relevant test results. We’re also committed to your safety and comfort.
- Silver Cross is accredited by the College of American Pathologists.
- Our laboratory team includes board-certified pathologists and certified laboratory scientists and technicians.
- Our full-service lab is equipped with the latest technologies so that you get accurate, timely test results.
- Nearly all lab tests ordered by doctors are performed on site, with results available within 24 hours or less.
- Tests not performed at Silver Cross are sent to a reference laboratory with most results available within 48 to 72 hours.
- Anatomic pathology
- Surgical pathology
- Gynecological cytology
- Non-gynecological cytology
- Frozen sections
- Bone marrow aspirations
- Clinical pathology
- Blood gas analysis
- Transfusion Services
Need a specific Diagnostic Laboratory Test?
Please see the test directory for information on specific testing required. If the test is not listed, please call the laboratory at 815-300-7070.
Processing Your Lab Work
The quality of information from any laboratory test depends on properly identifying the patient, properly labeling the primary specimen, as well as collection and handling of the specimen.
- Please see test directory for specimen collection information and patient preparation for specific testing required.
- Specimens submitted to the laboratory must have your correct identification elements, which include verification of your name and date of birth.
- Specimens must be labeled in your presence.
- The specimen collection label placed on the primary container must clearly display the following information:
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Date of collection
- Time of collection
- Collector’s unique identification, i.e., Silver Cross Hospital Employee LIS User ID or non-employee initials.
- Items required for specialty areas:
- Samples for Body Fluid Analysis, Microbiology, Pathology Tissue and Cytology require a specimen source noted on the label.
- Samples for transfusion services require a unique Blood Bank Identification Band Number present on the label.
- The specimen should be accompanied by a test requisition completely filled out including doctor orders, diagnosis codes and insurance information. Test requests can also be submitted via EMR or LIS connectivity
If you have questions about your laboratory services, please contact us. You may submit a question on our Contact Us page, phone the laboratory at 815-300-7070 or send an email message to the laboratory director at email@example.com.
Doctors with Expertise in Laboratory Services
Samer Dola, M.D.
Medical Director of Pathology Services at Silver Cross Hospital. Dr. Dola earned his medical degree at the University of Damascus, Syria. He was research fellow at Harvard Medical School, in Boston, MA, before his residency in anatomical and clinical pathology at Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood. His hematopathology fellowship was at The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH. Dr. Dola is certified in anatomical and clinical pathology as well as hematopathology. Dr. Dola's interests and expertise include flow cytometry, cytogenetics, FISH analysis, and molecular diagnostics, as well as morphologic evaluation of bone marrow material and lymph nodes.
Cagatay Ersahin, M.D.
Dr. Ersahin is a graduate of Ege University Medical School, Turkey. He earned his Ph.D. in molecular and cellular biochemistry at Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, where he also completed his residency in anatomic and clinical pathology. In addition he completed a fellowship in breast and gynecological pathology at Magee-Women's Hospital/University of Pittsburg, PA. He has many areas of interest and has lectured, written and published extensively. In addition to breast and gynecological pathology, his areas of interest include head and neck, lung, and gastrointestinal pathology.
Umesh Kapur, M.D.
Dr. Kapur is a graduate of Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India. He completed his residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, where he was chief resident (2006-2007), and a fellowship in Cytopathology at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He joins us from Loyola University where he was assistant professor in pathology for several years and practiced general surgical pathology, specializing in cytology and gastrointestinal pathology. He is author and coauthor of numerous publications and book chapters, and maintains membership in several pathology societies. His areas of interest include cytopathology, gastrointestinal and liver pathology.