Breastfeeding is the ideal way to feed your baby and is highly recommended by health experts around the world...and right here at Silver Cross Hospital. Our certified lactation consultants have trained our mother-baby nurses to help you with breastfeeding throughout your stay. They're also available to answer any questions after you've gone home.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Your breast milk is made specifically for your baby and breastfeeding provides many benefits to you as well.
- Your body provides just the right amount of nutrients for your growing baby.
- Breast milk changes to meet your growing baby's needs and is easy to digest.
- Breastfeeding leads to less health issues for baby such as colic, constipation and diarrhea. Breastfeeding has also been shown to decrease the chances for your baby developing asthma, food allergies, ear aches, colds and eczema.
- Breastfeeding is very inexpensive.
- Night feedings are much more convenient.
- Breastfeeding helps restore your pre-pregnancy figure. Breastfeeding moms have found that weight loss can be easier, and it helps your uterus return to its normal size.
- Breastfeeding has been shown to establish a strong bond between you and your baby.
Nutrition when Breastfeeding
Just like you did during your pregnancy, you need to eat a variety of healthy foods while you're breastfeeding. In addition, breastfeeding requires 500 extra calories a day, which enables your body to make the milk required by your baby. Remember to stay hydrated with 8 to 10 glasses of water a day, and nourish yourself with balanced meals and snacks.
To reach our lactation staff, please call 815-300-7321.
Support to Get You Started and Keep You Going
Learn the basics of breastfeeding including establishing a good milk supply, avoiding difficulties, using breast pumps, and more. Participants are welcome to attend before the birth of their baby. You're welcome to bring a support person for no extra charge.