Postnatal Physical Therapy
If you are a new mom and are experiencing pelvic discomfort, you can rest assured our staff of highly-skilled therapists can help you heal and improve the quality of your life. The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab at Silver Cross offers free screenings for women six weeks to one-year post-childbirth.
Silver Cross Health Center
12701 W. 143rd. St., Ste. 220, Homer Glen, IL 60491
What Can You Expect During a Screening?
During the 15-minute screening, your birthing history and current problems will be reviewed. Posture, core and pelvic strength will be screened.
If you have any of the following common postpartum complaints, you should be screened:
- Pelvic pain: This could be pain during intercourse, when urinating or defecating, or at rest. Pelvic pain can become chronic if left untreated.
- Urinary incontinence: It is common after childbirth to have a sudden urge to urinate or leak urine when exercising, laughing or sneezing.
- Perineal pain: Pain in the area between the vagina and anus is common among women who had an episiotomy or tearing during their birth. Some women also need help healing the scars from cesarean section.
- Fecal incontinence: Many women have trouble controlling bowel movements after having a baby.
- Pelvic organ prolapse: The uterus can slip out of place because of pressure on weak pelvic floor muscles during the birth.