Speech Therapy at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
If you’re an adult having trouble with swallowing, speaking, listening, reading, writing, and/or thinking, you may benefit from working with one of our speech language pathologists (SLPs) here at Silver Cross Hospital. We offer speech language assessment and treatment on our acute medical floors, inpatient rehabilitation unit and outpatient clinic. We work with our patients and educate families about their unique concerns and how speech therapy may improve their overall abilities.
What is Speech Language Therapy?
Speech Language Therapy provides evaluation, treatment, support and care for individuals experiencing difficulties with communication, cognition and/or with swallowing.
Are you or someone you know experiencing difficulty with:
- Swallowing difficulties
- Problems speaking or understanding language
- Cognition or communication impairments, such as attention, memory, problem solving, planning, organizing, and more
- Voice disorders, such as hoarseness, breathiness or decreased pitch
- Producing speech sounds accurately or clearly
Areas of Specialty
Common diagnoses of individuals who receive Speech-Language Therapy services (evaluation and treatment is not limited to individuals with these diagnoses):
- Head Injury/Traumatic Brain Injury
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Progressive Primary Aphasia
- Swallowing Impairment
- Videofluoroscopic Swallowing Study (VFSS)
- Voice Disorder