The Advisory Board raises funds for Silver Cross Hospital by operating a resale shop called the Encore Shop. Over the past 30 years, the charitable group has donated over $1.2 million to Silver Cross for the purchase of a variety of patient care equipment, transportation vehicles, and computer technology.
Recent Donations to Silver Cross Hospital
- Patient Beds and Mattresses
- Robotic Surgical Equipment
- Emergency Department Stretchers
- Patient Safety Equipment
- Blanket Warmer Cabinets
- Bariatric Motorized Wheelchair
- Non-invasive Ventilator
In addition, they have supported educational scholarships for numerous Silver Cross employees.
Tradition of Generosity
In 1891, the same year Silver Cross Hospital was incorporated, the Board of Trustees chose 15 women from the membership of the hospital’s founders – the Will County Union of King’s Daughters and Sons, to form a Board of Lady Managers. The name was later changed to the Advisory Board. These ladies kept an eye on hospital needs and arranged for any refurbishing and beautifying needs at Silver Cross. Since this had to be paid for, they held fundraisers, including cakewalks, card parties, concerts, horse shows, and theater events. They also worked with the Silver Cross Nursing School providing monthly teas and scholarships for the students. As a more permanent means of raising funds, the Encore Shop was opened on November 1, 1961.