Freedom from Smoking
If you or someone you love is a smoker, you know first-hand how difficult it can be to quit. Whether your reason for quitting is the damage smoking causes to your health, financial reasons as the cost per pack steadily increases, or just to improve your overall quality of life, having a plan to quit is a great start. Silver Cross is here to help you on your journey.
As we have learned, tobacco is the leading preventable cause of premature death and disease in the United States, with 16 million Americans living with a smoking related disease. What’s more, tobacco use increases your risk of developing cancer, heart disease and stroke. Silver Cross has partnered with the American Lung Association, and now offers the Freedom from Smoking program, one of the most effective programs in the country. This program features weekly meetings, group classes, support and a quit plan. Topics include lifestyle changes to make quitting easier, stress management, avoiding weight gain, and more.
If you still are not sure whether now is the right time for you, consider this health benefit timeline from the American Cancer Society showing what happens as soon as you quit:
- 20 Minutes after quitting: Your heart rate and blood pressure drop
- 12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal
- 2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases
- 1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decreases
- 1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of someone who still smokes – Your heart attack risk drops dramatically.
- 5 Years after quitting: Your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder is cut in half. Cervical Cancer risk falls to that of a non-smoker and your stroke risk can fall to that of a non-smoker after 2 years.
Now is the time. You are not alone in your journey to Freedom from Smoking! Let us help.
To join the 7-week Freedom from Smoking Program at Silver Cross Hospital, please click here to register.