Outdoor Activities for the Whole Family
June 12 is Family Health and Fitness Day, a day in which the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) celebrates and promotes the importance of parks and recreation in keeping communities healthy. You can participate this year by packing up your entire family and getting active at a local park or recreation center! According to the NRPA, consistently utilizing green spaces and recreation facilities is related to higher physical activity levels in both adults and youth. In addition, parks provide a connection to nature which studies show relieves stress and anxiety and improves overall mental health.
To help you get outdoors and enjoy nearby parks, try any one these activities with your whole family:
- Visit a local splashpad or run through a sprinkler
- Play a game of water balloon t-ball or water balloon toss (don’t forget to pick up all the popped balloons before you leave!)
- Create a chalk art mosaic masterpiece
- Plan an outdoor scavenger hunt
- Host a rock stacking contest
- Paint kindness rocks and spread them outdoors
- Time an obstacle course made at your local park
- Simply take a walk or bike ride
- Toss a football or Frisbee
In addition to these activities, you can visit your local parks and recreation webpage to learn of any events they be hosting and how you can get involved!